Written Form

Alasdair Macleod alasdair.macleod at HIENT.CO.UK
Mon Dec 1 13:19:33 UTC 2003

One claim I occasionally hear tossed at Scottish Gaelic is that Gaelic's
high level of illiteracy (50$ of the 60,000 Gaelic speakers are unable to
read and write proficiently in the language) makes it highly unusual, as
well as primitive and unsustainable.

I normally retort by stating that 'actually, over 80% of the world's
languages do not exist in a written form' - but I must hold my hands up and
admit that this statistic is completely made up (my only defence is that it
sounds about right). Does anyone have a figure for this based on any sort of
reliable/empirical evidence?

Thanks,
Alasdair MacLeod

------Disclaimer------
 This document is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender immediately and be advised that any unauthorised use of this document is strictly prohibited.