timing of multiple responses in E-Prime

Susan Campbell susanc at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 17 15:57:40 UTC 2002

I'm not certain if anyone has answered your question off-list, but I've
prepared an example script that does muliple response timing and put it
up on the STEP website for people to look at and download.

The script is the third on the page at
http://step.psy.cmu.edu/script_samples/

I tried to find a way to find the time between responses with a minimum
of E-Basic scripting, but apparently the only way to get at the
sub-responses that make up an InputMask object is with scripting.
E-Prime actually collects the responses that make up a multiple-response
trial (InputMask.Responses), but it only records the final RT to the
output data file.  There's a lot of information in the E-Basic help
files (not the E-Studio ones, and not in the manuals that I could find)
about InputMask objects, but I don't know how useful it will be if you
don't have a scripting background.

For the script, I rather hacked up the code from the main InputMask
topic in the E-Basic help such that it collected multiple keyboard
it to a data file as well, though I couldn't find a good way to add it
to the normal data file E-Prime generates.  There should be copious
comments on the code, but if it's still incomprehensible, please feel
free to let me know and I'll try to clarify.

I hope this helps,
Susan Campbell
STEP E-Prime Programmer