timing question

Amy Eschman amy.eschman at pstnet.com
Mon Mar 18 14:12:54 UTC 2002

Dear Myeong-Ho.

This can be accomplished using a Label object, and the "Jump" option for
the End Action field in the object collecting input.  You should set the
Duration for the object collecting the input to 1000 ms, with the Time
Limit set to the maximum amount of time you want to allow for a
response, and the End Action set to "Jump."  Then, you will need to
create a second object (i.e., a blank TextDisplay) to clear the stimulus
from the screen after the 1000 msec has expired and allow additional
time for a response.  This blank TextDisplay does not enable input, you
simply need to specify a Duration for it to wait for a response.
Finally, place a Label object in the Procedure immediately following the
blank TextDisplay.  The name of the Label object is entered into the
Jump Label field for the object collecting input.   Using the "Jump" End
Action in combination with the Label object will allow you to present
the blank TextDisplay if and only if no response comes in during the
display of the stimulus, and to terminate the display of the stimulus
upon response.

There is an example of this implementation in the Download/Samples area
at the E-Prime support site (www.pstnet.com/e-prime/support).  The
sample (Clear Stimulus-Leave More Time for Response) illustrates two
methods.  One clears the stimulus upon response, and the other maintains
the display duration of the stimulus (e.g., displays the stimulus for
1000 msec regardless of when the response came in).  You will need to
upgrade to v1.0 to view this sample.

I hope this is helpful.

Amy Eschman
Manager, Technical Support
*** DISCLAIMER: VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN AND DO NOT NECESSARILY
REFLECT THOSE OF MY EMPLOYER ***
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Psychology Software Tools, Inc.
2050 Ardmore Boulevard