Starting where I left off

Tony Zuccolotto anthony.zuccolotto at pstnet.com
Fri May 31 14:56:57 UTC 2002

Stephan,

Sampling-wise, what you are trying to do is the default functionality in
E-Prime (i.e. start sampling from where you left off).   You just have
to use the same TrialList in the different blocks and make sure that the
"Reset at the beginning of each Run" check box is NOT checked on the
TrialList.   This will ensure that each time the trial list is run it
picks up where it last left off.   If you set the list to Exit after 30
seconds then I think it will do what you want.   Alternatively you could
set the TrialList so it had say 100 samples available, but tell it to
Exit List after say 10 Samples rather than the default of 1 cycle.

Thus the overall structure is...

SessionProc
	BlockList
		BlockProc
			TrialList
				TrialProc

The BlockList should either have 1 row with the Weight set to the number
of blocks you want, or alternatively 1 row per block.

The TrialList should have enough samples available for what you would
need over the entire experiment, "Reset at the beginning of each Run"
set to off, and Exit List set to "After 30 seconds".   Note that this
time limit will not halt a trial in the middle if it expires at that
time, e.g. the setting is essentially saying "before starting the next
trial see if there is any time left - if there is even 1 msec left it
will run another complete trial (if this is a problem for your study
there are other ways around it but that can be another posting if need
be).

Give that a try and see what secondary problems you run into.

Regards,
Tony

*** DISCLAIMER: VIEWS EXPRESSED ARE MY OWN AND DO NOT NECESSARILY
REFLECT THOSE OF MY EMPLOYER ***
Anthony P. Zuccolotto
Vice President of Operations
Psychology Software Tools, Inc.