Recommend a beginner's book for Visual Basic

Doug Fuller dfuller at wayne.edu
Fri Jul 1 03:09:06 UTC 2005

>Doug,
>
>> like substring functions.  In almost every computer
>>language,
>>it's called substr().  I spent an hour digging through the
>>worthless help pages finding that it's called Mid$() in VB.
>
>This wasn't Microsoft, the Mid function has been used in
>Basic for at least 25 years that I am aware of and the Basic
>language was around for 20 years before that, I would guess
>that Mid was too. In fact Basic is older the C (1970s Vs
>1960s).
>
>Yes Microsoft has done many many stupid things over the
>years but this wasn't one of them!
>
>Paul

Paul,

Thanks for that tidbit - I could argue that maintaining a
separate function base is still silly, and that VB's help
system is still non-trivial to navigate meaningfully...but I
digress...

As I browse my bookshelf, I don't readily see a VB reference
book (which explains my distaste of VB, or perhaps is the
source of it) - however, I DO have a C++ book by Deitel and
Deitel.  I seem to recall they also published a book for
introductory VB programming as well.  The OP could do worse
than to check it out at your local bookstore to see if it
fits the need at hand.
--
Doug Fuller
dfuller at wayne.edu
Research Assistant, Wayne State University
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Neurosciences