external screen in E-prime

Paul Gr pauls_postbus at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 31 21:00:44 UTC 2005

Hi Dieter,

Although Windows allows you to run the EPrime script on the primary screen
and keep the second half of the desktop (with EStudio) visible on the second
monitor at the same time, there are a few drawbacks when using this
configuration:
1) the EPrime script on the primary monitor will abort immediately when you
accidentally activate one of the mouse buttons on the second screen
2) all non-ERun applications are significantly slowed down when the script
is started (i.e. run with lower priority), so there might be situations
(depending on your hardware and script) where the debug output windows is
not up-to-date.

One possible alternative is to use a separate system to display feedback to
the experimenter. For example, you could use a serial connection (RS232) and
an old fashioned TTY terminal to send textual messages by using some
straightforward inline scripts. When a second PC or laptop is at hand, you
could also use a null-modem cable and a terminal emulator program (such as
HyperTerminal) to realize such a configuration. We are currently looking
into some Bluetooth enabled palmtops or PocketPC’s to do the same thing
wireless.

We also performed some preliminary tests with a custom made library (DLL or
COM object), which was used to create a network enabled connection to
another PC. The software we tested also supported multiple connections
between several subject PC’s to a single monitoring PC.

And there is also a poor man's solution: in some cases it is possible to put
a mask on the subject monitor to hide part of the display. The hidden
section can be used to display extra information that is not visible for the
subject. (You will need an old fashioned VGA splitter or a multiple-output
VGA card which supports cloning the primary screen.)

best,
Paul Groot
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam