Problem detecting key releases

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Dec 4 23:41:26 UTC 2006

Tony,

>I have the keyboard device set to record Presses and Releases, but I cannot
>get the release to be noted/recorded. Is this because the initial press is
>on one object, and the release is on another? How can I get the program to
>work as desired,i.e. pressing a key starts the looping, releasing it stops
>the looping.

Forgive me if you've I'm just going over old ground, but to get E-Prime to
recognize Releases, you have to do two things.  First you must enable
Releases in the appropriate input object, e.g., Edit > Experiment >
Devices > SRBOX > Collection Mode > Presses and Releases.  From your
message, you have already done that.  Second, in your display/input object,
you must set Allowable to include releases using the "-" notation, e.g.,
{-ANY} will allow all key releases, {ANY}{-ANY} will all all key presses
and all key releases.  Please see the "{key} nomenclature" topic in the
online E-Basic help.

-- David McFarlane, Systems Designer
    Dept. Psychology, Michigan State University
    mcfarla9 at msu.edu    www.msu.edu/~mcfarla9
    Voice: (517) 353-0799    Fax: (517) 353-1652