problem with summation object

Rob Hester hesterr at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jan 20 01:13:32 UTC 2006

To the mailing list,

I have been successfully using the summation object script (available on
the e-prime website) to collect and average the number of correct responses
from 100 trials, but I've run into a problem when I changed the stimulus
timing properties of the task.
I've have a flanker task setup so that the stimulus display object is
presented for 100ms and then changes to a second stimulus display object (a
blank screen) while it waits for the participants response. I have the
stimulus display object 1 response properties configured so that it runs
for 100ms (cumulative timing with 100ms) with the response input time limit
set to 'infinite' and end action set to 'terminate'. Stimulus display
object 2 does not accept responses, but is set to an infinite time limit.
The summation object in line script is placed after Stimulus display object
2 (although it doesn't matter if I move it to after SDO1), and reads:

'The AddObservation command adds the ACC value of object
'StimulusPresentation to the Summation object, OverallAcc.
OverallAcc.AddObservation c.GetAttrib ("stimulus.ACC")

'The Debug.Print command prints the mean value of the Summation
'object, OverallAcc, in the Output window.
Debug.Print OverallAcc.Mean

'The OverallACC attribute adds the running calculation of overall
'accuracy to the data file at the trial level.
c.SetAttrib "OverallAcc", OverallAcc.Mean

How does having the second display object interfere with this script,
because removing makes the summation work perfectly? Anyone got a suggestion?

Cheers
Rob

Dr Rob Hester
Research Fellow