varying lengths of exposure based on responses

Paul Gr pauls_postbus at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 21 18:21:31 UTC 2007

Hello Scott,
one way of doing this is the following (I assume you already have a simple script for displaying the stimuli):

Add the following declarations to the gloabal user script (menu-view-script-user tab):

Const ExposureDelta% = 1000Const ExposureLowLimit% = 1000Const ExposureHighLimit% = 20000
dim iExposureTime as longdim strPrevResp as string
Then, insert an inline script object to initialize the global iExposureTime variable (this would normally be at the start of a block):

iExposureTime = 8000
Then, insert an inline script just before the image object (called Stim in this example) to set the exposure time of the simulus object:
Stim.Duration = iExposureTime

Finally, insert an inline script after the stimulus object to check the response and modify the exposure time:

' get the response
Dim t as stringt = LCase$(Stim.RESP)

' check response and alternation
if t="n" And strPrevResp<>"n" Or t="m" And strPrevResp<>"m" then   iExposureTime = iExposureTime + ExposureDeltaelseif t="z" And strPrevResp<>"z" Or t="x" And strPrevResp<>"x" then   iExposureTime = iExposureTime - ExposureDeltaend if

'check upper and lower limits
if iExposureTime<ExposureLowLimit then   iExposureTime = ExposureLowLimitelseif iExposureTime>ExposureHighLimit then   iExposureTime = ExposureHighLimitend if

' remember the response to check for alternation
strPrevResp = t

You might consider removing the alternation test (and related code) and only use two keys because eprime will not generate repeating key presses when the key is hold-down. (Authorware will!)

Hope this helps,

Paul Groot
VU University, Amsterdam