Triggering Magstim Rapid with a PCMCIA card

EJ Nikelski nikelski at bic.mni.mcgill.ca
Thu Feb 8 19:14:15 UTC 2007

Hi all,

    I have just inherited a Magstim Rapid that I will be triggering with
E-Prime. Problem is that I'll be running E-Prime from a relatively new
laptap that has neither serial nor parallel ports. I do, however, have
USB, and PCMCIA.

    I've been following discussions on this list and note that most
people seem to use the parallel port to send a TTL trigger pulse. So, I
could buy a PCMCIA parallel port card and try to use that. Does anyone
have any experience with this?

    Alternatively, the previous owner used a National Instruments
DAQCard-DIO-24 PCMCIA card, which provides 24 TTL-capable I/O lines,
however, I'm not sure how compatible this card is with E-Prime. National
Instruments appears to sell LabView, and so that's really all they
recommend. I suppose the greatest advantage of this option is that it
provides me with lots of input and output channels (when compared to
using a parallel port). Does anyone have any experience using this NI
DAQ card (or any other) with E-Prime? Any recommendations would be
appreciated.

Cheers,

-Jim

--