E-Prime 2.0 price list

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Nov 16 15:02:30 UTC 2007

Perhaps it's just me, but I had a devil of a time untangling the
E-Prime 2.0 prices from the table at the PST web site
(www.pstnet.com/products/e%2Dprime/#Pricing).  So I spoke to PST
staff, puzzled further over their web page, and rearranged the data
in a form that made more sense to me.  Here is what  I came up with,
in case it is of use to anyone else.  (Tip:  This may look better
with a fixed-width font.)

Full price:
     Up to 31 Dec 2007
         non-Professional    $695
         Professional        $795
     After 31 Dec 2007
         non-Professional    $895
         Professional        $995

E-Prime 1.x purchases made before 1 Dec 2004 are "non-eligible",
which is PST-ese for qualifying for some upgrade pricing but not the
best, not to be confused with "full price":
     Up to 31 Dec 2007
         non-Professional    $395
         Professional        $495
     After 31 Dec 2007
         non-Professional    $495 (still less than full price)
         Professional        $595 (still less than full price)

E-Prime 1.x purchases made between 1 Dec 2004 and 1 Oct 2007 are
"eligible", which is PST-ese for qualifying for the best upgrade pricing:
     Up to 31 Dec 2007
         Professional        $295
     After 31 Dec 2007
         Professional        $395
     Up to 1 Apr 2008
         non-Professional    "Free" (see extended note below)
     After 1 Apr 2008
         non-Professional    $495 (i.e., same as "non-eligible", see above)
         Professional        $595 (i.e., same as "non-eligible", see above)

The "free" upgrade to non-Pro needs some explanation.  You have two
choices:  (1) Pay shipping to send your 1.x hardware key back to PST,
they will exchange it for a special key that allows you to run either
1.x or 2.0 non-Pro on one computer;  (2) Pay $30 to have PST send you
a new key to run 2.0 non-Pro -- you keep your old 1.x key, allowing
you to run both 1.x and 2.0 non-Pro on one or two computers.

That's it.  Well, there are also quantity discounts for new (not
upgrade) purchases, but this is complicated enough.

I think most people who upgrade from 1.x to 2.0 non-Pro would pay the
$30 for the extra key.  But that is academic if most upgraders
instead move right up to Professional.  The "free" upgrade to non-Pro
does make it seem that non-Pro is the expected upgrade path from
1.x.  However, there are significant incompatibilies between programs
made with Pro & non-Pro (I am still exploring the details on this for
a later post), so you must buy the right version at the
outset.  Acording to PST staff I spoke with, the non-Pro version is
only meant for those who really are down to their last dollar,
otherwise everyone is just supposed to purchase Pro.