�SRBOX doesn't have a USB cable?

David K McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Wed Apr 23 00:30:06 UTC 2008

Raúl,

My first guess is that the COM setting (COM1, COM2, etc.) on your USB to
serial converter does not match the COM setting of your E-Prime experiment.
First, check the COM setting of your converter -- I can't tell you how to do
that, but your IT staff should be able to help you there.  Your converter
should have come with software to let you change its settings.  Set it to
use COM1 if you can, otherwise use anything from COM2 to COM4 (E-Prime
cannot see anything above COM4).

Then, in your E-Prime experiment program, open the Experiment properties
(e.g., double-click on the Experiment object).  Go to the Devices tab (I'm
doing this from memory, so I hope I get this right or someone else corrects
me).  Open the SRBox object (I assume your experiment has one, otherwise you
will have to add it).  Note the setting for COM port.  Make sure that it is
set to the same port as your USB to serial converter.  Note that the E-Prime
uses COM1 by default, so if you can set your converter to COM1 it should
already work with E-Prime.  If you do need to change the SRBox COM setting
to match your converter, note that you will have to do this for *each*
experiment program, as this setting is stored separately for each program.
Finally, if you move the experiment between computers you might have to
change the SRBox COM setting to match each computer.  As you can see, life
gets a lot easier if you can make sure that your SRBox can plug into
something that is already assigned as COM1!

Oh, you might also have to check other settings on your USB to serial
converter, e.g., baud rate, stop bits, data bits, etc.

BTW, if it were me, if at all possible I would install a real serial port
adapter into a free slot instead of using a USB to serial converter.  The
converter may work fine, but I just feel better with a real card.  Just my
unsolicited $0.02.