E-Basic and E-Run in E-Prime 2.0

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Jan 17 22:10:00 UTC 2008

At 1/17/2008 05:20 AM Thursday, you wrote:

>Hi, yesterday I made an upgrade to E-Prime 2. In the previous version
>I used E-Run in order to edit my e-basic experiment and to compile the
>code. Now I see that it is not possible to open an E-basic script with
>E-run but it is only possible to run the exercise.  Is that feature no
>more available in E-Prime 2?How I can do the same things as the past
>in the new version?

Welcome to the club!  Jodene and I already complained about this in
the PST Forum back in October, see the thread at
support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic696-12-1.aspx.  We both found it very,
very helpful to be able to edit the full E-Basic script directly, it
is the number one feature that initially sold me on E-Prime, and
losing that ability also breaks things like E-Kick, so we are very
sad to see it go.  So you're not alone.

As you can see by Matt's response, this change is deliberate and will
stick.  FWIW, Package files and the StartupInfo manager may indeed
partially make up for the loss of E-Kick.  However, note that Package
files work differently in EP2 Professional vs. non-Pro.  As I
understand it, the forthcoming Package file editor will *only* work
in Pro.  .ebs2 files designed in Pro and that use Package files
designed in Pro *will* run under non-Pro.  However, the Package files
designed with Pro *cannot* be used for Package calls in non-Pro
experiements.  By contrast, Package files designed by "industrial
partners" *can* be used in non-Pro experiements.  So clearly not all
Package files are created equal (and personally, I have never before
found a use for making our own Package files, perhaps that will
change with EP2).  Clear enough?

---
David McFarlane, Systems Designer
Dept. Psychology, Michigan State University
mcfarla9 at msu.edu    www.msu.edu/~mcfarla9
Voice: (517) 353-0799    Fax: (517) 353-1652