Counterbalancing

Victor t1msky at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 3 11:00:28 UTC 2008

Hi Gio

There may be a more elegant way to do this, but I have used a similar
experiement whereby I wanted to counterbalance the order of blocks.
What I did was insert a text box at the start of the expereiment
whereby the experimenter can input a number from 1-4 (for the 4
possible orders).  Then insert a label at the start of each block and
one at the end of the experiment.

Following the text box, you want an inline script to tell you which
label to go to when the experiment begins. e.g.

IF textbox1.RESP = 1 THEN GOTO block1
IF textbox1.RESP = 2 THEN GOTO block2
IF textbox1.RESP = 3 THEN GOTO block3
IF textbox1.RESP = 4 THEN GOTO block4

and following each block to say where to go next. For example, after
block1 you want

IF textbox1.RESP = 1 THEN GOTO block2
IF textbox1.RESP = 2 THEN GOTO block4
IF textbox1.RESP = 3 THEN GOTO block3
IF textbox1.RESP = 4 THEN GOTO end

and following block 2 you want

IF textbox1.RESP = 1 THEN GOTO block3
IF textbox1.RESP = 2 THEN GOTO block1
IF textbox1.RESP = 3 THEN GOTO end
IF textbox1.RESP = 4 THEN GOTO block1

Complete the inline scripts so that for input 1-4, the sequence of
blocks is completed in the counterbalanced order you want.  After the
last block in each case you can add a goto end.

Hope this helps
Tim