Variables from an inputted list

Rick O'Gorman rickogorman at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 11:59:39 UTC 2008

Doubt that my title makes much sense, because I am unsure how to even
ask for what I need help with!

I want an E-Prime experiment to take inputs some users, and then use
those inputted variable items later as stimuli.

I have a list that provides a series of questions (10), and I have it
running so that each question gets asked (ie, presented as stimulus) and
takes input. The variable is called namesolicit, the procedure is called
SolicitNames.

In a separate procedure, how do I access these items?

In a previous version which worked, I had the input textboxes as part of
the main procedure, rather than their own procedure, so I had 10
different textboxes ask the questions (that way, I didn't have to put
them in a list). That way, I could access the inputs with the name of
each textbox (eg, family1, family2, etc.) and .resp as follows:
family1.resp, family2.resp. This worked well but seems clunky to me.

But I'm at a loss as to how to get at the inputs with the new system,
because the textbox is always namesolicit. When I look in the datafile
that is generated, I see two lines that seem relevant:

SolicitNames.Sample: 1
namesolicit.RESP: inputted_item

The sample goes up to 10, of course.

I tried various permutations such as namesolicit.resp(1),
namesolicit(1).resp, and so on, but I can't stumble on the right format
and I don't know VB or C.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Rick
--
Rick O'Gorman, PhD
Psychology, Faculty of Development and Society

Phone: 0114 225 5788 Fax: 0114 225 2430

http://www.shu.ac.uk/psychology/staff/OGorman.html

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
                                 --Dan Stanford