Variables from an inputted list

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Nov 6 16:52:04 UTC 2008

Rick,

>I want an E-Prime experiment to take inputs some users, and then use
>those inputted variable items later as stimuli.
>
>I have a list that provides a series of questions (10), and I have it
>running so that each question gets asked (ie, presented as stimulus) and
>takes input. The variable is called namesolicit, the procedure is called
>SolicitNames.
>
>In a separate procedure, how do I access these items?
>
>In a previous version which worked, I had the input textboxes as part of
>the main procedure, rather than their own procedure, so I had 10
>different textboxes ask the questions (that way, I didn't have to put
>them in a list). That way, I could access the inputs with the name of
>each textbox (eg, family1, family2, etc.) and .resp as follows:
>family1.resp, family2.resp. This worked well but seems clunky to me.
>
>But I'm at a loss as to how to get at the inputs with the new system,
>because the textbox is always namesolicit. When I look in the datafile
>that is generated, I see two lines that seem relevant:
>
>SolicitNames.Sample: 1
>namesolicit.RESP: inputted_item
>
>The sample goes up to 10, of course.
>
>I tried various permutations such as namesolicit.resp(1),
>namesolicit(1).resp, and so on, but I can't stumble on the right format
>and I don't know VB or C.
>
>Thanks for any suggestions,

In general, EP does not keep a record of the past that that could be
used within the experiment program.  Once data are logged to disk, EP
pretty much forgets about it.  So if you need to know about the past,
you must take care of that yourself by using script to store things
in global variables (if you don't know about global variables, see
the "Using E-Basic" chapter in the User's Guide that came with
E-Prime).  In your case you would probably want to store responses in
an array for use later.

That is just some general advice, I hope you can find a way to apply
it to the details of your specific experiment program.

Moore's Constant: Everybody sets out to do something, and everybody
does something, but no one does what they set out to do.