continue trial after error

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Oct 2 21:47:20 UTC 2008

Nicole,

>I am programming an IAT (thanks to C. Bonnemayer (DMKEP Maastricht
>University), I didn't need to start from scratch - see prior posting
>re: IAT.
>
>However, the standard IAT procedure is that if an error is made, error
>feedback is provided, but then that trial continues until a correct
>response is made. The RT recorded is the time since the onset of the
>stimulus prior to the error.
>
>How to do this relates to other prior postings re: repeating errors,
>but in all of those solutions the error trials are repeated at the end
>of the trial list (in a new, separate trial list, in fact). If I could
>insert a new trial just after an error, with the same properties as
>the previous error trial, that would solve the problem. The RT would
>then be the sum of the two RTs, plus the duration of feedback. But
>what I gather is that E-Prime does not like the TrialList content
>fiddled with while it is running. Has anyone found a solution to this?

OK, let me take a stab at this.  If you can just keep repeating the
same trial until the subject gets it right, then you can do this all
with a goto in your trial proc.  Put a label object in the trial proc
up where you want the subject to start over, and when the subject
makes a mistake, just goto that label.  And if you want to record the
mistakes as if they are extra trials, then, before the goto, add the
appropriate c.SetAttrib commands and do a c.Log.