EP2 pop-ups & backups

Rick O'Gorman rickogorman at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 17:45:34 UTC 2008

David McFarlane wrote:
> Rick,
>
>> Just getting used to working with E-Prime. A couple of quick questions
>> (if this is allowed/encouraged on this list):
>
> Questions (and answers) allowed & encouraged on this list.  Do please
> change the subject line if you ask a new question instead of
> contribute to an existing one.

Thanks for your reply Dave. Yes, I realised right after I pressed send
that I forgot to change the subject line.

>> 1) Anyone know how to turn off the properties pop-up box that shows up
>> when the mouse pointer hovers over an item in the structure window? This
>> is driving me nuts, as it obscures my view and I have the properties box
>> open below the structure box by default!
>
> I take it you are working in E-Prime 2.  These pop-ups go away if you

Yes, using E-Prime.

> leave the mouse alone for about 4 seconds.  Still an annoyance, but

Yes, I know they go away eventually, but when I am using the mouse to
move around the items in the structure window, waiting 4 seconds before
I can see again is an eternity!

> they will go away.  I too would like to know if you find an answer,
> as I have not found a use for this feature yet.  But perhaps if I
> gave it a try I might find it useful.

Perhaps, but I am currently at a loss. :)

>> 2) Does E-Prime create automatic backups, as does MS Word, for example?
>> I just had E-Prime crash after a bit of work and it seems like its lost
>> for good. I'm getting flashbacks from the nineties here...:)
>
> Try Tools > Options, General Tab.  Enable "Automatically backup most
> recently saved copies of my experiment".  Click "Copy backup
> experiments to the desktop..." to recover them.  I think this has
> been covered better in earlier posts here or in the PST Forum, please
> search the archives.

I don't think this is what I'm looking for (I had spotted it). It seems,
as I understand the feature, to backup saved copies. However, I'm
looking for E-Prime to do auto-saves (perhaps a better label than what I
initially used). The way Word or Excel (or many other programs) will
automatically save the file every so often. I can always try to get back
into the habit of saving every few minutes (as I used to have to do with
older versions of Word--after a hard-earned lesson or two), or whenever
I do a time-consuming task, but I just thought there are standard
features of any programming environment and this is one.

Rick

--
Rick O'Gorman, PhD
Psychology, Faculty of Development and Society

Phone: 0114 225 5788 Fax: 0114 225 2430

http://www.shu.ac.uk/psychology/staff/OGorman.html

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
                                 --Dan Stanford