EP2 pop-ups & backups

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Oct 28 17:59:36 UTC 2008

Rick,

> > Try Tools > Options, General Tab.  Enable "Automatically backup most
> > recently saved copies of my experiment".  Click "Copy backup
> > experiments to the desktop..." to recover them.  I think this has
> > been covered better in earlier posts here or in the PST Forum, please
> > search the archives.
>
>I don't think this is what I'm looking for (I had spotted it). It seems,
>as I understand the feature, to backup saved copies. However, I'm
>looking for E-Prime to do auto-saves (perhaps a better label than what I
>initially used). The way Word or Excel (or many other programs) will
>automatically save the file every so often. I can always try to get back
>into the habit of saving every few minutes (as I used to have to do with
>older versions of Word--after a hard-earned lesson or two), or whenever
>I do a time-consuming task, but I just thought there are standard
>features of any programming environment and this is one.

Sorry, yes, I misunderstood your original question.  Personally, I
have never relied on the auto backup feature of any system, so I tend
to forget about them.  My mantra is "save early and often".  <alt>F S
is just burned into my fingers, I do it every few seconds whether I
need it or not, even when I have not made any change.  I do it after
almost every edit.  I only resist when I already have a working
program and I am making changes that may break it, in that case I
like to test run before I save.  Even in that case, I usually work
from a new copy so I can do my usual <alt>F S dance again as I make
provisional changes.

Just my $0.02 on personal programming habits.

Regards,