Need help with slide (sound/image) lag

Paul graftedlife at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 04:15:30 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I'm running a cross-modal lexical priming task on EP2, presenting
firstly an auditory prime and then a visual target word at prime
offset. While presenting the auditory prime, I also need to put a
fixation point on the screen. The problem is, I tried to put the
soundout object and a fixation jpeg file in a slide together, while
the actual slide presentation  duration varies often; sometimes the
sound has finshed while the fixation point stays on the screen.

The settings are as follows:

Slide Object:
Duration: infinite
Device: none (therefore no time limit/end action)
(Setting prerelease did not seem to help, so for now I changed it back
to 0)

SlideSoundOut Object:
Buffer mode: Streaming (the files are quite small, usually about 1
second long, but I still used this mode, with buffer size being 9000;
I tried to set buffer size at 20000 and use the buffer mode on a
laptop earlier, though that did not seem to work at that time.)
Loop: No
Stop After: Yes
End Sound Action: Terminate

I tried to put a inline object in the beginning of the session
procedure (as discussed in another article) to set the soundload
factor as 3 ("c.SetAttrib "Sound.LoadFactor", 3), though that did not
seem to help.

And then I tried to see if I could pre-cache the sound and the image
file in the slide object, by adding the following inline objects
before the slide (though I'm not sure if they are correctly written),
and the situation did not change much:

1. (Trying to preload the slidesoundout object)

Dim strSlideSoundOut As SlideSoundOut
Set strSlideSoundOut = CSlideSoundOut(PracPrime.States
(PracPrime.ActiveState).Objects ("SoundOut1"))
Dim MyBuffer As SoundBuffer
Set MyBuffer = strSlideSoundOut.Buffers(1)
MyBuffer.Filename = c.GetAttrib("PrimeSound")
MyBuffer.Load

2. (Trying to preload the slideimage object)

Dim strImageFile As SlideImage
Set strImageFile = CSlideImage(PracPrime.States
(PracPrime.ActiveState).Objects("Image1"))
strImageFile.Filename = "Cross.jpg"
strImageFile.Load

I'm running the experiment under XP, and I guess the machine meets e-
prime's requirement, but still I got timing problems. I would be very
grateful for your help, as timing is critically important to cross-
modal experiments.

Sincere thanks,
Paul