E-DataAid slow

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Feb 24 20:31:41 UTC 2009

>That also raises another issue--why is the
>unicode on by default for exporting SPSS text file? I couldn't figure
>out why SPSS was seeing a garbled file when I tried importing until I
>re-saved the text file as ANSI and then it read it fine!

I had a similar problem when I wanted to process some exported data
with an Excel macro (for later re-importing back into
E-DataAid).  Excel handled the file pretty well, except it had an
extra character at the beginning of "STRING" in cell A1, and that
messed up the re-import into E-DataAid.  When I made sure to export
the data without Unicode, cell A1 came out as it should.  Since
Unicode was the unalterable default and I could not trust my users to
manually turn off Unicode every time, I worked around the problem in
Excel by just writing "STRING" back into cell A1.  Sheesh.  What was
PST staff thinking?  (Or perhaps, what were they smoking, etc., pick
your own gibe.)

I agree that E-DataAid 2 should export data as non-Unicode by
default, or at least allow us to change the default setting.  In
fact, I already posted this request in December to the PST Forum at
http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic2552-12-1.aspx .  Perhaps others
could add their voice to that post.