E-Basic being very basic

Michiel Spape Michiel.Spape at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jun 30 15:42:27 UTC 2009

Dear group,

Just now I was getting a bit annoyed about E-Prime including and using .NET - I think 2 even? - yet still including merely a lot of archaic Visual Basic. At the moment, I was looking for a function that can easily convert a string into an array of substrings - like string.split() in .NET, but this seems not included in E-Basic. Of course, I should be able to make a function that can do that for me, but last time I tried to do something like that, E-Prime gave me an error, saying that one cannot have arrays as function outputs. I'm not sure what that was about - it might well be my mistake somewhere, but at some point I just went for some inelegant programming instead of looking up everything.

Anyway, I was sort of hoping that anyone here might have tried importing the String, or any other class, as used in modern VB6+, into E-Prime. Bit of a long shot, I guess.

Best,

Mich

Michiel Spapé

Research Fellow