Eprime 2-sound file problem

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Aug 3 14:52:23 UTC 2010

Lidia,

Brandon Cernicky's assurances notwithstanding (see
http://support.pstnet.com/forum/Topic3772-12-1.aspx ), little or
nothing has changed in the over two years since these problems
started, let alone in the 3.5 weeks since I posted that reply.  My
advice remains practically the same as posted on 28 Aug 2009 at
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/c6f0aaf2eabf4f97
(except that I would now add the same caution against Windows 7):

"In short, DO NOT use Vista [or Windows 7] for E-Prime 2!  E-Prime 1,
by contrast, does seem to work OK under Vista.  Nevertheless, I would
go even further to insist that Vista [and Win7] not be used for
running any experiments, as Vista [and Win7] simply has not proved
itself reliable for laboratory use in the way that XP has.  OK though
to use Vista [or Win7] for *developing* the experiment programs and
then move them to XP machines for running subjects, if you can get
through the occasional glitches during development -- that's what I do."

That said, everyone should still submit this as a Web Support request
at http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp and pressure
PST to make this right.

<editorial>
But what happens to us later when Microsoft stops activating new
installations of XP?  We really need to work out something on a free
and open source ("FOSS") platform (e.g., using Linux), with science
in mind instead of depending on consumer-grade technology, so that we
are not so beholden to the vagaries of markets and corporate decisions.
</editorial>