How random is random?

Tobias tobias.fw at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 09:00:18 UTC 2010

Hi together,

I was wondering: What's your experience with E-Prime randomizing
things? It sometimes occured to me that e.g. conditions from a list
are not that randomly picked.
Just yesterday I used some InLineScript "y = random(1,180) in order to
pick a bitmap. As these bitmaps content a line of a certain angle and
are put on the screen in a matrix, you can kind of see how "mixed up"
it looks. It seems to me that which number is picked relies to some
extent on the number picked before. No real random...

Do you know if there is any way to draw random numbers in a better
way? To optimise the random seed?

Thanks a lot,
Tobias