Response devices

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Wed Feb 17 17:53:07 UTC 2010

At 2/16/2010 06:07 PM Tuesday, Carlos wrote:
>David,
>
>Anyways, my colleague (who is the one mainly in charge of trying to
>configure our response pads) and I have looked at this and tried to
>implement a few things. So far we haven't had any luck. We don't have
>an SRBox from E-Prime so we can't really route anything through there
>or even try to figure out in more detail how it works. You seemed to
>have provided that though in your e-mail so I don't think is an issue
>at this point. It just seems that E-Prime does not want to correctly
>interpret what we are sending to it.
>
>I have a few more questions for you if you don't mind.
>
>1) Should we be setting the SRBOX Object/Device in E-Prime to be
>emulating the keyboard?

That is entirely up to you, it makes no difference to how E-Prime
gets the input from the SRBox.  It may simplify the testing of your
input masks -- you can use a Keyboard mask (using the same values as
your SRBox will use) to test your program without the SRBox, then
when you add the SRBox you have everything ready.

>2) What type of information should we be having the breadbox send out?
>Should this be in hex? We have verified that the breadbox is sending
>out the information we configure it so send, but E-Prime doesn't seem
>to happy with whatever type of output we send to it.

I thought I covered that in my earlier post.

>3) You said the E-Prime SRBOX sends out &H7F when it powers on. Is
>this something that E-Prime has to detect?

Not as far as I know, I simply recorded an observation that I made
(hence I enclosed that in parentheses).

>4) Does the SRBox send a steady stream of bytes to E-Prime at the
>speed of 800 bytes per second even if no button is pressed?

Yes.

>5) If no button is pressed, what will the SRbox send to E-Prime?

It sends a steady stream of &H00 bytes.

>In your reply you said: In your reply you mentioned:Each bit encodes
>the state of one button, so, e.g., button 1 sends &H01, button 2 &H02,
>button 3 &H04, etc.; and buttons 1 & 3 simultaneously send &H05, etc.
>You may then decode the byte with If...Then, or masking unwanted bits
>with a bitwise And
>
>Would that be the answer to the last two questions?

Yes, indeed.

>6) If, for example, button 1 is pressed, does the SRBox send
>"00000001" to E-Prime immediately? Is there any debounce processing
>needed? By any chance do you know how they achieve the "0 millisecond
>debounce period" as declared in their website?

It does send the "00000001" (or &H01, or 0x01, which I find easier to
read).  I do not recall any debounce circuity in the SRBox.  However,
since it sends a new datum only once every 1/800 s = 1.25 ms, the
buttons have plenty of time to debounce between each datum.

Hope that helps,