Alternating procedures of experiment by subject

liwenna liwenna at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 09:21:45 UTC 2010

Hi Cogneuroisfun,

Could you elaborate a little bit for us?

Each subject does the task twice? But this is, I take it, not in one
run but in two runs, right? (i.e. set up subject, start e-prime, close
e-prime, move subject, start up e-prime again) And there will be two
'fixed' orders? No randomization per subject?

If that is correct: wouldn't it be much easier to just make two
separate e-prime experiments (one a copy of the other) with two
different fixed orders in it and simply use the one when the subject
is in the mri, and the other one when the subject is 'in the different
imaging technique' ? (nice mysterious description btw ;) ).

If not in two runs but in one run than you should have a look at
'labels' (the green flags). You can give a label a name and use an
inline with the text 'goto labelname' to make e-prime skip back (!)
and forth on a procedure line. So... if you would place the experiment
twice with the two different ordered lists both on a procedure you
can  use a whole series of inline and labels to guide e-prime trough
the procedure, i.e for one group skip the first order and then after
the 2nd order be redirected back to the start to make the first order
and after that directed to the end of the program in order to not make
the second order a second time.

For instance (read this as a procedure and/or a timeline:)
start experiment: "inline: if group is even then goto skip1label" ;
backto1label; order1list; "inline: if group is even then goto
endlabel" ; skip1label; order2list; " inline: if group is even then
goto backto1label"; endlabel.

^ this way the odd group will not be affected by any of the inlines
and labels and thus will make the program in the normal order
(order1list, order2list). The even group will at the start of the
experiment be directed to skip1label and start from there with
order2list. After order2list they will be send to backto1lable which
is followed by order1list. After order1list they will encounter the
inline that sends them to endlabel, which is the end of the
experiment. The skip1label is placed áfter the inline that sends the
even group to endlabel so that they do not encounter that inline (and
be send to endlabel) when the program first skips to skip1label.

I hope this is any clear at all >.<

Good luck,

AW