Minimising E-Prime and running two E-Prime experiments

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Jun 7 19:45:11 UTC 2010

Hannah,

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
takes any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours (although latest
reports indicate more like 10 days) -- this is pretty much their
substitute for proper documentation, so make full use of it.  3) If
you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please extend the courtesy
of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

I have never done any of this, so if you pioneer this please write
back and let us know how it works.

1. You can actually Alt+Tab out of a running experiment.  No telling
what you could run then, or how easily you could get back to and
resume your experiment program.

2. As I recall, the online E-Basic Help has some functions for
launching external applications, although I cannot recall them at the moment.

3. For yet another more controlled programmatic method, try the
SuspendResume example downloadable from PST.  This makes use of a
couple of Windows API calls, as well as a couple methods of Rte.DeviceManager.

4. Finally, if your "break" task is unrelated to the main task, why
not just go low tech?  Set up a second laptop (computers are cheap
these days, buy a used one on eBay or CraigsList) with a separate
task and move them to that for a moment, or just give the kids some
blocks to play with, etc.  When I taught Sunday school to 4th graders
(admittedly 9-year-olds, not 5-year-olds), we found it useful to
frequently move the kids to a new venue to keep them engaged.