Trouble with randomisaton

Little Moo lordoftheshortpeople at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 22 23:42:18 UTC 2010

I'm hoping someone can help.

Has anyone else had a problem with randomisation, or am I doing
something wrong.

In the final phase of an experiment, I have a list of 27 target
images, and 3 lists of distractor images.

The list is set as:-

27 Samples (1 cycle x 27 samples/cycle)

1 Cycle equals 27 samples

Random Selection

In a small, but significant, number of experimental runs, one level is
omitted and one level is repeated e.g.

red_squr_straight.jpg
blck_tri_squig.jpg <------------First Show
blue_tri_round.jpg
blue_tri_straight.jpg
red_circ_straight.jpg
red_squr_squig.jpg
blue_squr_squig.jpg
red_tri_round.jpg
blue_circ_squig.jpg
blue_circ_straight.jpg
blck_squr_round.jpg
blue_tri_squig.jpg
red_squr_squig.jpg
blck_circ_round.jpg
blck_tri_squig.jpg <------------Repeated
blck_circ_straight.jpg
blue_squr_straight.jpg
red_tri_squig.jpg
red_tri_straight.jpg
red_squr_round.jpg
blue_tri_squig.jpg
blue_squr_round.jpg
blck_tri_straight.jpg
blue_circ_round.jpg
blue_tri_straight.jpg
blck_squr_straight.jpg
red_tri_squig.jpg

and in this case blck_circ_squig.jpg was omitted - that is for this
case only, the level omitted/repeated is random.

Has any else noticed this, or have I made a mistake with my selection
criteria? Reset is set to All samples (27), and the list object does
have 27 unique filenames.

This is central to my experiment but nothing I have tried works.

Laura