Randomize Conditions in a "mere exposure effect /Perceptual fluency" Experiment

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Mar 19 14:20:54 UTC 2010

Standard reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
really does like to take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours.  So don't be shy
there.  3) If you do get an answer from PST Web Support, please
extend the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take ...

By "randomize ... different exposure frequency" I suppose you mean
you want to control the List Weights for the different trials in your
trial List.  In that case, I see two approaches:

1) If you have a small number of sets of Weight assignments, then
make a separate List for each set of weights.  Enclose each List in
its own Procedure.  Then use each of those Procedures in a different
row of an outer block List, and set that List to random order, etc.

2) Otherwise, adjust the List Weights directly from inline code using
List.SetWeight and List.Reset.  For more information on that, look in
the online E-Basic Help, and search this Group and the PST Forum
using terms like "setweight".

And once again, do not neglect PST Web Support
(http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp ), that's what
it is for.

public relations, for nature cannot be fooled."  (Richard Feynman,
Nobel prize-winning physicist)