Fixed Order of Pictures

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue May 11 12:46:08 UTC 2010

JL,

Taking a break from my labors and catching up on a couple of Group threads...

Just amplifying what Mich said...  I assume that
you mean a single visual stimulus display with
four pictures.  For this I would use a Slide with
four SlideImages, one for each picture.  Then I
would use SlideState.HitTest to get mouse
SlideState.HitTest topic in the online E-Basic
Help, and the "Response Areas for Mouse Input"
sample from the PST web site.  You will have to
extend their example to handle four valid mouse
clicks [FN1].  I would then probably store the
"hits" in an array, and then as Mich said use a
loop to compare those hits, in order, against the
answer key.  This does all require a fair amount of inline code.

As for the feedback display, I would use a single
Slide with two states, one for the "correct"
sound & visual, and another for the "incorrect"
sound & visual, and then add a bit of code to
select the appropriate Slide.ActiveState (see the
online E-Basic Help).  But that's just me,
ordinary people would use a pair of Slides and
then Labels and Gotos to select which one gets used.

Finally, as Mich says E-Prime is not well suited
to animations, unless you do not mind writing
even more inline code to run it.  Otherwise, if
you have EP2 then you might run a SlideMovie
within the feedback Slide, or in any case just
skip the animation and stick with an informative
static image or even good old text (I am rather a text snob myself).

All in all, nothing that cannot be done in
E-Prime without a little bit of ingenuity and general programming skills.

FN1: I actually wrote a library of Functions &
Subs to help with this sort of thing and would be
happy to post that on the Group if someone would
send me instructions on how to do that.