flashing dot and response dependent visual input simultaneously

Anneanne abraesch at rumms.uni-mannheim.de
Fri Apr 1 15:29:19 UTC 2011

Hey there,

I am really new to e-prime and have no programming experience
whatsoever... Maybe someone can help me with my issues here?

So far, I tinkered the following InLine script referenced to the
slide
before.

     Dim gdot As SlideImage
     Set gdot =
CSlideImage(arrows.States(arrows.ActiveState).Objects("dot"))
     gdot.Filename = "H:\\MyExperiments\\dot_green.jpg"
     gdot.Load
     Dim x As Integer

For x = 1 to 10
     arrows.Draw
     Sleep 1000
     gdot.Clear
     Sleep 1000

     Do
         If(Mouse.Buttons AND ebMouseButton1 ) Then
         arrows.ActiveState = "down"
         arrows.Draw
         'WritePort &H378, 4       'YES via parallel communication,
command 00000110
         Sleep 200
         'WritePort &H378, 0
          arrows.ActiveState = "neutral"
         arrows.Draw
         Sleep 20
         Goto Label1

         ElseIf(Mouse.Buttons AND ebMouseButton3) Then
         arrows.ActiveState = "middle"
         arrows.Draw
         Sleep 200
         arrows.ActiveState = "neutral"
         arrows.Draw
         Sleep 20
         Goto Label1

         ElseIf(Mouse.Buttons AND ebMouseButton2) Then
         arrows.ActiveState = "up"
         arrows.Draw
         'WritePort &H378, 8       'YES via parallel communication,
command 00000110
         Sleep 200
         'WritePort &H378, 0
         arrows.ActiveState = "neutral"
         arrows.Draw
         Sleep 20
         Goto Label1

         End if

     Exit Do

       Sleep 10
       DoEvents

     Loop
Next

What I want it to do is:
1. The slide (and the InLine script) shall be "on" for 20 s.
2. During that time, a visual input (green_dot) shall be flashing
(e.g.
one second on, one second off)
3. Also during that time, the participants have a task in which they
press the three mouse buttons (this shall go out to the parallel
port,
controlling another device). Whenever they press a button, they
should
get a visual feedback (e.g. when they pressed button 1, the upper
white
arrow on the slide turns grey for 200 ms and returns to white
afterward)

What is happening right now with this script is that as soon as I
press
any button, the flashing dot appears, but only rarely a visual
feedback
for a button press is shown. Also, the more I press the buttons, the
more the time prolonges (there are not only 5 flashing dots, but
rather
ten or 15). It only end after 5 flashes when I do not press any
button.

I really hope that somebody understands what I mean and can help me!!

Thanks
Anne