stopping video playback beyond Duration (response contingent)?

David Vinson d.vinson at ucl.ac.uk
Mon May 23 13:21:42 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have been wrestling with a MovieDisplay problem and wonder if anyone
on the list has any ideas.

A simplified version of my trial sequence can be described like this:

time 0:  MovieDisplay begins
time 600: ImageDisplay begins while movie continues
time 2500: end of typical video (range 2000-3100).
Keypress can occur at any time during or after this sequence.

Feedback on accuracy occurs after the response has been made.

My current design starts with a MovieDisplay: keypress response,
duration/time limit = 600, stop after = no and end action = terminate.

If MovieDisplay.RT > 0 the ImageDisplay is skipped, otherwise it's
displayed with duration = infinite (waits forever for a keyboard
response).  I log variables for the ImageDisplay and use inline code to
update the logged variables for MovieDisplay as well.

Then feedback occurs based on MovieDisplay.ACC. The problem is that
often feedback doesn't appear (it's actually being displayed behind the
video which continues until it is finished - video always takes display
priority).

Is there any way to stop the video once a keypress to MovieDisplay or
ImageDisplay is recorded?  I've tried various ways to deal with this (eg
setting Durations to 0 and using inline code to keep time) but have not
figured out a way to pull the plug on a video.

I have been able to make the feedback display visible, for example
adding a long Wait object before the feedback, or increasing the
duration of the feedback object, or displaying the feedback off center -
but I'd prefer if participants didn't have to wait until the end of
video clips if they have already made early responses.

any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful!
--
David Vinson, Ph.D.
Senior Postdoctoral Researcher