Conditional cumulative feedback, help.

welise wafa.elise at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 11:58:27 UTC 2011

Hi Everybody,

I am hoping somebody can help me with presenting participants with
cumulative RESP feedback that is conditional on two separate

In my experiment, participants are first presented with a slide and
asked to press "1" if they will answer "A" or  "2" if they will answer
"B". I then have 6 slide states, randomly presented, with 4 different
stimuli presented on each (I used 6 slides in order to change the
positioning of each of the stimuli). If the participant chose "1"
previously, they are expected to choose the corresponding stimuli
accordingly (by pressing 1, 2, 3, or 4 to indicate the correct
position of the stimuli). and if they chose "2" they are expected to
choose the stimuli that corresponds to that choice. If they chose "1"
and then chose the correct corresponding stimuli, they get no
feedback. If they chose "1" and gave incorrect stimuli response then
they get  Incorrect feedback with a message that says "-5 points". If
they chose "2" and made the correct stimuli response- I have feedback
randomly set to give them one of two messages, and one of those
messages includes "-10 points" while the other includes "+10 points"

So far, so good. I have experiment designed up until this point. The
problem arises when I try to present cumulative score feedback:

Within each trial, after the participant receives the first set of
feedback and the corresponding points lost of gained, I need to
present them with feedback that tells them their new total score. so
total score - 5 points, or total score + 10 points, or total score -10
points, and this needs to carry over from one trial to the net.  I
have no idea how to do this. I started off by trying to do this with a
text slide but I can't figure out how to do an inline text that can
make all this happen. I am in over my head and any help would be so
much appreciated.