audio presentation in Eprime, file duration question

Anya anna.siyanova at unimore.it
Mon Oct 24 15:38:29 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a very simple experiment where people first hear Word 1, then
there's a blank, then they hear Word 2, and need to decide if the two
words can refer to the same person. The duration of Word 2 is
indefinite, until the button is pressed. My question regards the
duration of Word 1. I want the duration of this word to be as long/
short as the duration of the actual audio file, so short words have
the duration of, say, under a second, and the duration of longer words
is over one sec. Eprime wants me to set the duration of my Audio out
object to something, e.g., indefinite, 1000, 2000 etc. But i don't
want to do that, instead i want the duration of each file to depend on
the length of the word and thus each duration to be unique. Word 1 is
then followed by a 250 ms blank, and then Word 2.

How do i fix the duration of Word 1? How do i make the word
presentation time as long as the actual word is? If i set the duration
in Eprime to 1000 ms, then longer words are truncated. If i set the
duration to say 1300, then i have lots of silence at the end of
shorter words.

Many thanks in advance!
Anya