Simulating Keypress (beginners question)

Marc marclatz885 at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 31 16:46:32 UTC 2011

hi there,

I'm just starting using E-Prime (with some VB experience, though) and
was trying to do something simple as that:

There are three stimuluses ("1","2","nothing") displayed in a
TextDisplay element which is set to react on event.
Correct responses for 1 is 1, for 2 is 2 and for nothing I'd like it
to be nothing at all.
In case the stimulus is 1 or 2 the program is supposed to wait for the
user to make his input, in the "nothing" case it's supposed to wait
for 3 or so seconds and then go to the next stimulus.

I tried to solve this via VB skills and I'm absolutely stuck here...

My code:

Dim Start as Long
Dim now as Long
Start = Clock.Read

if TextDisplay1.CRESP = "" then
	do
	DoKeys "a"
	now= Clock.Read - Start
	loop until now>2000
end if

What I'm trying to do is simulating the press of some random key (a in
this case) in order to move to the next event as soon as the 2000 ms
are over (a is also among the allowable inputs in my TextDisplay). I
tried the same with SendKeys and it won't work either, it does,
though, when I press the a key manually.

What am I doing wrong?
I'm almost certain there is an easier way to do what I want to do but
unfortunately I don't seem to be able to figure out what to google/e-
basic-/eprime search.

Some help (may it be "search for xyz in abc before asking, fool")
would be greatly appreciated!!

Marc

P.S.: In case you wonder - the programs purpose is simply getting the
loop to work and then applying it to a bitter, existing e-prime file
which we want to use as a dependent variable.