Variable ISI

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Apr 19 15:58:18 UTC 2012

Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours.  3) In addition,
PST takes questions at their Facebook page
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psychology-Software-Tools-Inc/241802160683
), and offers several instructional videos there and on their YouTube
channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ) (no Twitter feed yet,
though).  4) If you do get an answer from PST staff, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.

That said, here is my take...

Not sure if this answers what you are asking but...

You can "introduce" the specified ISI values by entering them as an
attribute ("column") in a List, and then using the bracket notation
to supply an attribute reference in the Duration property of some
E-Object.  E.g., I imagine that you have something happen between
your stimuli (e.g., a BlankText).  In your TrialList you could add an
attribute called ISIDur, and then in the Duration of BlankText put
"[ISIDur]" (sans the quotes, of course).  You should get the idea from there.

This is easiest if you use a simple TrialList run in Sequential order
(common practice for fMRI here).  If you need E-Prime to randomize
things for you on-the-fly, then things could get more complicated
(depending on your design), and you might have to resort to nested
Lists (see Appendix C of the User's Guide), or even a bit of inline
code to randomize the ISI values.  But the principle of using an
attribute reference remains the same.

Also, if you have not already, then please work through *all* the
tutorials in *all* the manuals that came with E-Prime (Getting
Started Guide, User's Guide, Technical Reference Guide) before you
proceed further.  That will answer all the beginner questions.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx