response unit for E-prime 2.0 Professional with ERP hardware

Michiel Sovijarvi-Spape mspape at cognitology.eu
Wed Jun 20 11:22:27 UTC 2012

Hi,

Actually, come to think of it, "psychological effects as being under-rated
in comparison with timing precision" is not quite my point. Rather, both
psychological effects and timing precision are very much over-rated in
comparison to the middle levels. That is, with psychological effects
("higher level"), we can think of, say, a lexical decision making task
taking 100 ms longer (about 10%, given that RTs are a bit longer) with
word/picture incongruency. Then, the timing error can be in your hardware
connection (say, polling rate) or software (e-prime, or say, windows
wondering whether there's a lan connection). I'd call both these a more
"lower level". To drive the point, I'll term the in-between part the central
level*: how much time does it take from initiation of movement (say, the
first millimeter of moving the finger downward) to actual "captured button
press". In the thread mentioned earlier, I suggested that there's good
reason to believe that this can be quite a bit; that motor noise may well
make it more difficult to find effects; and that there's no reason to
completely rule out that precious psychological effects may occur after
response initiation ("true RT") but before response capture ("measured RT")
by hardware, which is quite independent of timing errors and should be a
cause for concern. It's a bit like allowing two reactions - in a lexical
decision: "it's a word, oh no, it's actually not" and then reporting only
the second reaction (I think it's an unspoken rule that this is incorrect,
would people agree? I've heard of people who enter the correct answer as the
only allowable and then measure RTs - which rather inflates them).

To conclude on a more positive note: I thought I'd just like to say: make
sure you have a really light response-box, joystick, or gamepad.

Cheers,

Mich

* sorry, silly joke, I don't really see the arm as a central processing unit
- but has anyone else noticed how psychologists just love to call this or
that process occurring at a "central" level?