List counterbalancing by sujbect

Rachel rachel.ostrand at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 22:34:29 UTC 2012

Hi All,

I have an extremely simple question that I know must be possible to
do, but I simply cannot get it to work. I've read a jillion old forum
posts, but it seems like everyone is asking a much more complicated
question than I have, and so I can't find just a basic template to
work off of.

I have 8 subject groups, each with its own list of video stimuli. I
want each subject to see all of the video stimuli from exactly one of
these lists. I created a master list (GroupList) with 8 nested levels
(Group1, Group2, ..., Group8) and in the master list, I set Selection
to Counterbalance by Subject. However, instead of playing every video
in the appropriate Group# list, it plays exactly 1 video and then
exits. What is going on? How do I make it play every single trial in
that one group list, and cycle through and choose a different group
list for each new subject?

For example, Subject1 should see all 118 videos in the Group1 list (in
a random order); Subject2 should see all 118 videos in the Group2
list; Subject3 should see all 118 videos in the Group3 list, and so on
through all 8 Group# lists.

This is really time-critical, especially since this seems to be
exactly what the Counterbalance option should do, so as prompt a
response as possible would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Rachel