Simple cumulative timing question

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Wed Nov 7 17:07:52 UTC 2012

First & foremost, you can figure this out by doing some test for
yourself (and you should never believe what anyone tells you
anyway).  Just run your exercise and inspect all the time audit
measures (see
http://groups.google.com/group/e-prime/browse_thread/thread/39e899d3457d4917
) from your various stimulus objects.

Of course, you still want some theoretical understanding.  For that,
start with Chapter 3 of the original E-Prime User's Guide (or try
Chapter 4 of the revised edition).  Then look at the
GetNextTargetOnsetTime and SetNextTargetOnsetTime topics in the
E-Basic Help facility.  From that, let's infer that E-Basic holds a
hidden NextTargetOnsetTime variable.  And note that Timing Mode
merely determines the baseline for setting NextTargetOnseTime from
the stimulus Duration -- i.e., Event uses OnsetTime for the baseline,
whereas Cumulative uses NextTargetOnsetTime (or TargetOnsetTime,
depending on how you want to think of this).  From there, it is just
simple arithmetic.

So suppose you have an InLine, followed by Slide1 (set to Cumulative
timing mode), followed by Slide2.  And suppose that Slide1 one does
*not* get terminated by some event (e.g., response or sound End
Action).  In that special case, the following holds:

When Slide1 starts execution,
     Slide1.TargetOnsetTime = NextTargetOnsetTime
     NextTargetOnsetTime = NextTargetOnsetTime + Slide1.Duration

Then when Slide2 starts execution,
     Slide2.TargetOnsetTime = NextTargetOnsetTime

So from that you can see that, yes, what you surmised was
correct.  By contrast, using Event timing mode, the following would hold:

When Slide1 starts execution,
     Slide1.TargetOnsetTime = NextTargetOnsetTime
     NextTargetOnsetTime = Slide1.OnsetTime + Slide1.Duration

And you can take it from there.

BTW, why not just use Cumulative timing mode for all your stimulus
objects in the Procedure?  In most cases, that would seem more natural.

And again, test all this for yourself, never take anyone's word for
anything, not even mine.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours.  3) In addition,
PST takes questions at their Facebook page
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psychology-Software-Tools-Inc/241802160683
), and offers several instructional videos there and on their YouTube
channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ) (no Twitter feed yet,
though).  4) If you do get an answer from PST staff, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----