programme not working

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Oct 5 13:59:38 UTC 2012

I just fixed a similar problem here this week,
though there's no telling if this will apply to
you.  In our case, the error message complained
about "Image 3", which made no sense.  So I
looked in the List with the file names.  The file
name column was not wide enough to show the full
file names, so I made that column wider, and
voilà -- I saw " ?" at the end of the first file
name.  Once we corrected that, all worked well.

So, make triply sure that *all* the file names in
your List are what you think they are.  Look out
especially for trailing spaces -- e.g.,
"Image1.bmp " is not the same as "Image1.bmp".

<editorial>
When I tried to recreate this error using
good-old EP1.2, I found that EP1.2 produced a
*much* more informative error message, detailing
exactly what file name was causing the
trouble.  Once again illustrating the maxim, "In
this modern world, 'progress' often means 'regress'".
</editorial>

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2)
PST's trained staff take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp
, and they strive to respond to all requests in
24-48 hours -- this is pretty much their
substitute for proper documentation, so make full
use of it.  3) In addition, PST takes questions
at their Facebook page
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psychology-Software-Tools-Inc/241802160683
), and offers several instructional videos there
and on their YouTube channel
(http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ) (no Twitter
feed yet, though).  4) If you do get an answer
from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of
posting their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----