nested lists (to combine conditions)

Tobias tobias.fw at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 14:08:45 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I have an experiment with a list of 1024 lines that define certain
conditions.

There is an extra variable (64 different values) which is not exactly
task-relevant and that I can't combine with all 1024 combinations of other
things because it would blow up the experiment to 10,000s of trials.

So my idea was to combine all 8 crucial conditions (each of the 8 crucial
conditions consists of 128 combinations of other stuff, thus summing up to
8x128=1024 trials) with the 64 values of the extra variable.

What I did is as follows: I created 8 nested lists which are identical
(apart from their name obviously) and consist the 64 values of that other
variable. Thus all 64 values of that variable are equally often assigned to
one of the 8 crucial conditions (i.e. twice each), but not equally often to
all 1024 conditions.

It is quite unhandy to have all those lists and I can imagine that one
might have even more variables he/she wants to control for an extra
variable. So my question is: Is there an easier way of doing this?

Thanks for any help!
Tobias