Mastering E-Prime: Meaning of all time audit measures.

Scott saultsj at missouri.edu
Wed Feb 27 21:54:01 UTC 2013

Perhaps I should start another thread about Task Events rather continue
this topic here. However, I want to respond to David' post, to followup,
clarify, and correct some information I posted earlier comparing the use of
Task Events vs OnsetSignalData..

You're correct, David, "..Task Events can use attribute references for the
output data, ..." and that is no different what you can do with
OnsetSignalData. It just doesn't add much, if anything, at least for ERP
paradigms that we tend to use, EXCEPT for a convenient way to reset the
port after you've sent a signal. At the same time, PST missed a golden
opportunity to add a significant MISSING feature, something that CANNOT be
accomplished with OnsetSignals, by not implementing conditional response
codes for Task Events. That said, I admit that I'm ready to try my first
ERP experiment with Task Events instead of onsetSignal commands. In our
lab, we already do post-processing of event codes, rearranging the codes
into trials by paring each stimulus event code with a response code. With a
(hopefully) minor teak to the program used for that step, I plan to switch
each of the conditional response codes (sent via WritePort AFTER each
trial), with the static response trigger sent via Task Events. That way,
the conditional writePort code does not have to be sent in real time, but
can be assigned to the generic, real time Task Event marker during this
post-processing step. This doesn't help me much for paradigms we've already
used, because I've already written a lot of  "Do While
xxxxxxxxxx.Mask.IsPending" scripts for sending real-time response codes in
those situations. But it will be a LOT easier for me to explain this
method, and its simpler writePort command, to graduate students just
learning E-Prime, than those complicated "process pending" inline scripts
that they borrow and use (and can potentially misuse) without ever
understanding.

Sorry if this is too much off-topic. After I've completed my first Task
Event ERP study using this method, perhaps I'll start a new Task Event ERP
thread with a more optimistic reevaluation.