Trigger event markers from Eprime to BIOPAC

Scott saultsj at missouri.edu
Mon Jan 14 06:21:45 UTC 2013

I'm not sure I should reply to such an old thread, but I am asking Paul
Groot for elaborate regarding part of his post to this topic -- and my
question still is about "...markers from E-Prime to BIOPAC."  Can you
please explain how one can "...use a calculation channel to convert the 8
digital channels back to a numerical one...", if one needs more than 8
unique marker codes?

I am just beginning work on  E-Prime programs that will send triggers via
the parallel port to Biopac equipment. I have written quite a few E-Prime
programs for ERP studies that send codes to Neuroscan amps. For that, it's
simple to use different numbers (1-255) to distinguish various kinds of
stimulus onset and offset and response events. I think I understand how to
send a signal to one of 8 channels of the Biopac recording system using
port codes that are powers of 2 (as you explained). However, I don't expect
that will always be enough, so I'd like to know how to setup a "calculation
channel" to facilitate the use of more than 8 codes with Biopac. Can you
explain, or point me to some documentation about this?

Thanks. - Scott