Listening span in E-prime (any help would be very valuable to me)

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Jan 14 20:14:45 UTC 2013

Q1:  You already have the OnsetTime for the stimulus that asks the
question, now the challenge is to detect the beginning of silence at
the end of an utterance -- sort of an inverse voice-key.  I wonder
what happens if you use the SRBox voice key and set E-Prime to detect
"releases" rather than "presses"?  But then what about the silences
between words?  I cannot think of a simple solution, hope someone
else weighs in.  Having the subject press (or release) a key at the
end of the utterance offers a crude solution, but with many
drawbacks.  Alternatively, have the experimenter accompany the
subject during the run, listen to the subject's responses, and press
(or release) a key or button at the end of the subject's vocal
response during each trial.  This, of course, presents other problems as well.

Q2: I don't quite follow this question, sorry.

<editorial>
And why do folks here fret so much about "deadlines"?  Relax.  The
fate of the universe does not hinge on your experiment.  To the
contrary, back when I was a graduate student, my advisor advised me
to slow down, for "science is a deliberative process".  Have things
changed so much?  Rome wasn't build in a day, and neither was any
worthwhile research program.
</editoral>

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster)

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at
http://support.pstnet.com/e%2Dprime/support/login.asp , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST takes questions at their Facebook page
(http://www.facebook.com/pages/Psychology-Software-Tools-Inc/241802160683
), and offers several instructional videos there and on their YouTube
channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ) (no Twitter feed yet,
though).  4) If you do get an answer from PST staff, please extend
the courtesy of posting their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----