Video clips make program crash

Hans Schroder hans.stuart.schroder at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 21:27:46 UTC 2013

Hey all,

Our team has perused some of the group responses on issues with video
files, but none seem to address the problems that we're experiencing. We
are dealing with two codecs: XVID and tcs2 (camtasia).

We are ripping a total of 12 one-minute video clips from various movies
(e.g., Matilda, Harry Potter) using AoA DVD ripper and using Camtasia to
standardize the volumes (we couldn't find a program that clipped videos AND
allowed us to standardize volumes).

Basically our task presents these 1 minute clips with an ITI of 10 seconds
between each clip and presents some startle probes to the participants. Our
problem is that the program crashes after playing some of the videos
randomly, and it's been difficult to assess why it crashes at all.

We've run our task on both Windows XP and Windows 7 and both have crashed.

-In Windows XP, the program always seems to freeze on the last frame of
video clips with an XVID or tcs2 (camtasia) codec - it doesn't seem to
matter which codec it is.

-In Windows 7, the program froze in between video clips

We've tried playing around with the E-prime CodecConfig, but a lot of the
error messages we've been getting say "Filter is not DMO", but we're unsure
what that means.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated