E-Prime Stability

Paul Groot pfc.groot at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 16:02:06 UTC 2013

I also worked on several scripts that had stability issues when editing in
EStudio (XP and W7). I think some of those problems only occur under
specific circumstances or in specific scripts. However, in most cases it
seems hard to reproduce the crashes. So, pressing the save button every now
and then has become standard practice for me. However, here is another nice
(reproducible) demonstration of a problem in EStudio, which took me some
time to isolate from a larger script. This case is related to a bug in
the ScriptSense
option:

- open estudio and start with an empty script
- open windows task manager to monitor cpu usage of estudio
- add an inline script object to SessionProc and enter the following code:

Dim n As Integer
While False
   n = 1
Wend

Note that an empty line at the top of the script seems to be essential.
Although this problem is not very apparent, the high CPU-load could cause
time accuracy issues when running a script directly from EStudio.

Best
Paul