E-Prime Stability

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Thu Oct 10 16:13:52 UTC 2013

With regard to XP vs. Vista/Win7... For the
longest time I advised EP users to stick with XP
32-bit.  PST now certifies EP2.0.10 to work under
Vista/Win7, and with both 32- and 64-bit
platforms, and I have subsequently reversed my
advice.  I have been testing and doing some
development using a dual-boot XP-32/Win7-64
machine, and EP2.0.10 has worked well for me on
the Win7-64 side, maybe even better than on the
XP-32 side.  E.g., I have been testing sound
latencies -- under XP-32, I get sound latencies
on the order of 30 ms.  Using the *same* machine
booted to Win7-64, and using the available
CoreAudio API, I can get sound latencies solidly down to around 10 ms.

But don't get me started on movies!  Movies have
been a headache in every release of EP2, but for
that matter we have also had trouble with movies
in PsychoPy.  So I do not think this is the fault
of EP, I think this is just the nature of our
digital movies, a lot of this attributable to the poor state of our codecs.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx