randomizing blocks

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Mon Oct 14 18:42:52 UTC 2013

Chen,

I must be missing something, because I cannot see what's wrong
here.  I imagine that you have a structure like

SessionProc
     BlockList
         BlockAProc
             BlockATrialList
         BlockBProc
             BlockBTrialLIst

(there are actually better ways to structure this (e.g., using a
single BlockProc, and using an attribute to select the trial List),
but this is how most beginners would do it).

In that case, if you set Order of BlockList to Random, and Order of
each BlockXTrialList to Sequential, then E-Prime will present your
blocks in random order, but trials within each block in sequential
order (I have students practice this in my online course).

What am I missing?

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ).  4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----