pedals

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Fri Oct 25 17:24:10 UTC 2013

Francesco,

Been working on this repsonse for the past couple days...

You will need to get a soldering iron and a multimeter, and have the
skills to use them, or find & team up with a local electronics
technician, as this is a bit of a do-it-yourself project.  The first
time I did this in the 1990s, we had keyboards that still had
individual mechanical switches for each key, I just opened the
keyboard case and soldered a pair of wires (from two-conductor
speaker cable) directly to the desired key switch.  I left about a
foot (~0.5 m) hanging outside the keyboard and added an inline 3.5mm
monophone jack to the end.  The foot pedal either came with a 3.5mm
monophone plug, or I cut off whatever it came with and replaced it
with a 3.5mm plug myself.

Of course, you will not likely come across those keyboards
anymore.  But no problem, it just means that you open up the keyboard
again and patch directly into the keyboard matrix controller, which
is what I did for a later project (and that time, I drilled a hole in
the case and mounted a jack right on the keyboard case, very
neat).  Back then I got some insructions from a web page, but I
cannot find that right now so you might have to Google around
yourself -- I found the following that introduce some of the
principles, http://www.howstuffworks.com/keyboard.htm and
http://pcbheaven.com/wikipages/How_Key_Matrices_Works/ -- if you
cannot figure out how to do this based on these principles, then you
should not try this project.

Anyway, once you you have a switch wired into the keyboard, it
effectively *is* a keypress, so no need for any drivers or Devices or
ports or anything else.

But really, you would be better off using a PST SRBox.  The SRBox has
an expansion connector inside that allows you to easily add external
devices that will then act just as if you pressed buttons on the
SRBox.  In that case, you will only need to connect two wires from
the pedal to a mating connector -- the SRBox should come with a
manual that explains the priciples involved (I have the manual right
here), or you can purchase PST's SRBox Custom Expansion Kit...  Well,
I just looked this up now, and for a total of US$640, you can get the
SRBox (US$450), the Custom Expansion Kit (US$150), *and* a foot pedal
(US$40), so there you go!  Yes, that is a bit of money, but you will
find the SRBox handy for many reasons, including better timing
performance (see PST's measurements at
http://www.pstnet.com/eprimedevice.cfm ).  But if you want to save
$150, you can do without the Custom Expansion Kit and just get the
interfacing components you need from an electronics supplier.

I think that should cover it.

-- David McFarlane