pedals

David McFarlane mcfarla9 at msu.edu
Tue Oct 29 19:57:30 UTC 2013

John, Very cool!  For US$50 (plus US$5 s/h within USA, US$15
elsewhere) the MaKey MaKey gizmo acts like a basic external digital
input board through USB, converting any switch closure into an
ordinary key press, mouse button press, or mouse movement useable by
any software that recognizes a USB keyboard or mouse.  I want one of
these, could come in handy!

Francesco, As it turns out, one of our labs has recently purchased
USB foot pedals that act like key presses, and they use that with
E-Prime.  See
http://www.tomtop.com/usb-foot-control-keyboard-mouse-action-three-switch-pedal-hid-c954.html
.  Cost is US$34 (plus s/h I suppose).

Both the MaKey MaKey and USB foot pedals should work fine if you do
not need absolute millisecond timing performance (note in particular
that the MaKey MaKey page says that they use a moving window averager
to lowpass switch noise in software, I imagine that might add a bit
of delay; goodness knows how the USB foot pedals behave).  Otherwise
users should test input timing characteristics for themselves (use an
oscilloscope, or a Black Box Toolkit).

I would love to know what you end up with, please write back and let us know.

-----
David McFarlane
E-Prime training
online:  http://psychology.msu.edu/Workshops_Courses/eprime.aspx
Twitter:  @EPrimeMaster (https://twitter.com/EPrimeMaster )

/----
Stock reminder:  1) I do not work for PST.  2) PST's trained staff
take any and all questions at https://support.pstnet.com , and they
strive to respond to all requests in 24-48 hours, so make full use of
it.  3) In addition, PST offers several instructional videos on their
YouTube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/PSTNET ).  4) If you do
get an answer from PST staff, please extend the courtesy of posting
their reply back here for the sake of others.
\----